If you’re planning to move, you might be considering renting a U-Haul U-Box as a convenient and cost-effective way to transport your belongings. But before you make any decisions, it’s important to understand the dimensions of a U-Haul U-Box, so you can make sure it’s the right size for your needs. In this article, we’ll provide you with all the information you need to know about U-Haul U-Box dimensions.
Why Uhaul Anyway?
Uhaul is a well-known name in the moving and storage industry. With over 22,000 locations in the United States and Canada, it has become a go-to option for those in need of affordable and reliable moving services. But why do people choose Uhaul over other moving companies? Here are some of the reasons why Uhaul may be the right choice for your next move.
- Wide range of Equipment Options: Uhaul offers a variety of equipment options for moving, including trucks, trailers, and towing equipment. This means that no matter what you need to move, Uhaul has a solution for you.
- Competitive Pricing: Uhaul is known for its affordable pricing, with rates often lower than other moving companies. They also offer various discounts and promotions throughout the year, making it even more cost-effective to choose Uhaul for your move.
- Convenience: With thousands of locations across the United States and Canada, Uhaul makes it easy to pick up and drop off equipment. Plus, with the option to reserve equipment online or over the phone, you can quickly and easily secure your equipment without leaving your home.
- Flexibility: Uhaul understands that moving can be unpredictable, so they offer flexible rental options. Whether you need to rent a truck for a few hours or several days, Uhaul can accommodate your needs.
- Safety: Uhaul takes safety seriously, ensuring that all of its equipment is well-maintained and inspected regularly. They also offer safety features like 24-hour roadside assistance and equipment that is designed to prevent damage to your belongings during transport.
U-Haul U-Box Overview
The U-Haul U-Box is a versatile and durable portable storage container that can be used for both moving and storage purposes. It is made of sturdy plywood and features a weather-resistant cover to protect your belongings during transport. U-Haul U-Boxes is equipped with tie-downs to keep your items secure during transit.
Here are some key features of the U-Haul U-Box:
- Portable storage container for moving or storage
- Made of durable plywood with a weather-resistant cover
- Tie-downs included securing belongings during transport
- Available in three different sizes: U-Box 8′, U-Box 16′, and U-Box 20′
- Weight limit of 2,000 pounds for each U-Box
- U-Box 8′ has a capacity of 257 cubic feet, U-Box 16′ has a capacity of 689 cubic feet, and U-Box 20′ has a capacity of 887 cubic feet
- U-Box dimensions vary based on the size selected, with exterior and interior dimensions listed for each size
- Door dimensions also vary based on the size selected
- U-Haul offers flexible rental options to accommodate your moving or storage needs
- U-Boxes can be stored at U-Haul facilities if additional storage is needed
- U-Haul offers online quotes and customer service to answer any questions you may have about renting a U-Box
U-Haul U-Box Dimensions
The exterior dimensions of a U-Haul U-Box are as follows:
- Length: 95″
- Width: 56″
- Height: 83.5″
The interior dimensions of a U-Haul U-Box are as follows:
- Length: 93″
- Width: 51″
- Height: 75″
The door dimensions of a U-Haul U-Box are as follows:
- Width: 47.5″
- Height: 69.5″
U-Haul U-Box Weight Limitations
Each U-Haul U-Box has a weight limit of 2,000 pounds, which includes the weight of your belongings and any packing materials you use. It’s important to keep this weight limit in mind when choosing the appropriate U-Box size and packing your belongings.
Exceeding the weight limit of a U-Box can be dangerous, as it can lead to damage to your belongings or even accidents during transport. Additionally, exceeding the weight limit can result in additional fees or charges from U-Haul.
Here are some tips to help you stay within the U-Haul U-Box weight limit:
- Take inventory of your belongings: Make a list of all the items you plan to move or store in a U-Box, along with their estimated weights. This will give you an idea of how much weight you need to account for.
- Choose the appropriate U-Box size: As mentioned earlier, each U-Box size has a weight limit of 2,000 pounds. Choose a U-Box size that can safely accommodate the weight of your belongings.
- Use lightweight packing materials: When packing your U-Box, use lightweight materials such as bubble wrap or packing paper to minimize the weight of your belongings.
- Don’t overpack your U-Box: Overpacking your U-Box can lead to excess weight and can also increase the risk of damage to your belongings during transport. Make sure to pack your U-Box efficiently, but don’t overstuff it.
U-Haul U-Box Sizes and Capacities
U-Haul U-Box is available in three different sizes: U-Box 8′, U-Box 16′, and U-Box 20′. Here’s what you need to know about each size:
The U-Box 8′ is the smallest U-Haul U-Box available. It has the following dimensions:
- Exterior: 95″ x 56″ x 83.5″
- Interior: 93″ x 51″ x 75″
- Capacity: 257 cubic feet
- Weight limit: 2,000 pounds
The U-Box 16′ is a medium-sized U-Haul U-Box. It has the following dimensions:
- Exterior: 186″ x 78″ x 84″
- Interior: 176″ x 66″ x 66″
- Capacity: 689 cubic feet
- Weight limit: 2,000 pounds
The U-Box 20′ is the largest U-Haul U-Box available. It has the following dimensions:
- Exterior: 237″ x 79″ x 84″
- Interior: 227″ x 67″ x 66″
- Capacity: 887 cubic feet
- Weight limit: 2,000 pounds
How to Choose the Right U-Haul U-Box Size
Choosing the right size U-Haul U-Box is important to ensure that all of your belongings can be safely and securely transported or stored. Here are some tips to help you choose the right U-Box size:
- Estimate the number of belongings you need to move or store: Take inventory of all the items you plan to move or store in a U-Box. This will give you an idea of how much space you need.
- Consider the size and weight of your items: Certain items, such as furniture or appliances, may require a larger U-Box or a U-Box with a higher weight limit.
- Choose the appropriate U-Box size based on your needs: U-Haul U-Boxes come in three different sizes, so it’s important to choose the right one for your needs. Here are some general guidelines:
- U-Box 8′: Best for small moves or storage needs, such as a studio apartment or college dorm room.
- U-Box 16′: Best for medium-sized moves or storage needs, such as a one or two-bedroom apartment or a small house.
- U-Box 20′: Best for larger moves or storage needs, such as a three or four-bedroom house or a larger apartment with multiple rooms.
- Consider how you’ll pack your items: It’s important to pack your U-Box efficiently to make the most of the space. Keep this in mind when choosing the appropriate U-Box size.
- Check the U-Box weight limit: Each U-Box has a weight limit of 2,000 pounds, so make sure that you choose a U-Box size that can safely accommodate the weight of your belongings.
Packing Tips for U-Haul U-Boxes
To make the most of your U-Haul U-Box, it’s important to pack it efficiently. Here are some tips to help you:
- Start by packing heavy items on the bottom, then layer lighter items on top.
- Use blankets, towels, or packing paper to protect fragile items.
- Use tie-downs to secure your items and prevent them from shifting during transport.
- Label your boxes and make a list of what’s inside each one.
How to Reserve a U-Haul U-Box
Reserving a U-Haul U-Box is a straightforward process that can be completed online or in person at a U-Haul location. Here’s what you need to know:
- Determine your moving or storage needs: Before reserving a U-Box, it’s important to know how many U-Boxes you’ll need, how long you’ll need them for, and whether you’ll need any additional equipment like dollies or furniture pads.
- Visit the U-Haul website or a U-Haul location: You can reserve a U-Box online by visiting the U-Haul website and filling out a reservation form. Alternatively, you can visit a U-Haul location and reserve a U-Box in person.
- Provide your information: When reserving a U-Box, you’ll need to provide your contact information, the dates you’ll need the U-Box and information about your moving or storage needs.
- Choose your U-Box size: U-Haul offers three different U-Box sizes, so it’s important to choose the appropriate size for your needs.
- Pay for your reservation: You’ll need to provide a valid credit or debit card to pay for your U-Box reservation.
- Pick up your U-Box: Once your reservation is confirmed, you can pick up your U-Box at the designated location on the date you specified.
If you have any questions about reserving a U-Haul U-Box, you can contact U-Haul customer service for assistance. U-Haul also offers online quotes for U-Box rentals, which can help you estimate the cost of your move or storage needs.
U-Pack is a popular moving and storage option that offers both a trailer and a portable container option. Here’s a closer look at the dimensions of each option:
U-Pack’s trailer option is a 28′ x 8′ x 9′ space that can hold up to 28,000 pounds of items. It’s designed to be weather-resistant and secure, with tie-downs to keep your items in place during transport. The trailer option is ideal for larger moves, as it offers ample space for your belongings.
U-Pack’s ReloCube option is a portable container that measures 6′ x 7′ x 8′ and can hold up to 2,500 pounds of items. It’s also designed to be weather-resistant and secure, with tie-downs to keep your items in place during transport. The ReloCube option is great for smaller moves or those with limited space for a large moving truck.
Here’s a side-by-side comparison of the dimensions of U-Pack’s trailer and ReloCube options:
|28′ x 8′ x 9′
|Up to 28,000 lbs.
|6′ x 7′ x 8′
|Up to 2,500 lbs.
As you can see, the trailer option offers significantly more space and weight capacity than the ReloCube option. However, the ReloCube option is more compact and can be a better choice for smaller moves or those with limited space.
U-Pack offers flexible delivery options, allowing you to choose the delivery date and time that works best for your schedule. This can be especially helpful if you need to coordinate your move-around work or other obligations.
U-Pack vs. U-Box Comparison for both Dimensions and Pricing
When it comes to choosing between U-Pack and U-Box, it’s important to consider both the dimensions and pricing of each option. Here’s a side-by-side comparison of U-Pack and U-Box dimensions and pricing:
|28′ x 8′ x 9′
|Starting at $1,899
|U-Pack Cube Size (Relocube)
|6′ x 7′ x 8′
|Starting at $1,455
|95″ x 56″ x 83.5″
|Starting at $139.95
|186″ x 78″ x 84″
|Starting at $2,229
|237″ x 79″ x 84″
|Starting at $2,499
As you can see, U-Pack offers both a larger and smaller option than U-Box, with the trailer option being significantly larger than any of the U-Box options. However, U-Box offers more flexibility in terms of container size, with three different options to choose from. When it comes to pricing, U-Box’s 8′ option is the most affordable, while U-Pack’s ReloCube option falls in between U-Box’s 8′ and 16′ options.
Ultimately, the choice between U-Pack and U-Box will depend on your specific moving and storage needs, as well as your budget. It’s important to carefully consider both the dimensions and pricing of each option before making a decision.
While U-Box is a popular option for portable storage containers, there are other alternatives available that may better suit your specific needs. Here are a few options to consider:
PODS (Portable On Demand Storage) is a popular alternative to U-Box. PODS offers a range of container sizes, including 7′, 12′, and 16′ options. They also offer flexible delivery and pickup options, allowing you to choose the dates that work best for your schedule.
1-800-PACK-RAT is another alternative to U-Box. They offer a variety of container sizes, including 8′, 12′, and 16′ options. They also offer flexible delivery and pickup options, as well as climate-controlled storage solutions.
Smartbox is a portable storage container option that offers a 7′ x 5′ x 8′ container size. They also offer flexible delivery and pickup options, and their containers are designed to be weather-resistant and secure.
Zippy Shell is a portable storage and moving container option that offers 10′ and 15′ container sizes. They also offer flexible delivery and pickup options, and their containers are designed to be weather-resistant and secure.
Go Mini is a portable storage container option that offers 12′, 16′, and 20′ container sizes. They also offer flexible delivery and pickup options, and their containers are designed to be weather-resistant and secure.
United Mayflower is a full-service moving and storage company that offers portable storage container options in addition to traditional moving services. They offer flexible container sizes and delivery options, as well as climate-controlled storage solutions.
CubeSmart is a self-storage option that offers flexible rental options and various sizes of storage units. They also offer climate-controlled storage solutions and a range of security features to keep your belongings safe.
Public Storage is another self-storage option that offers flexible rental options and various sizes of storage units. They also offer climate-controlled storage solutions and a range of security features to keep your belongings safe.
Frequently Asked Questions
How many U-Box containers do I need for my move?
The number of U-Box containers you’ll need depends on how much stuff you have to move. U-Haul recommends using one U-Box for every 200 cubic feet of belongings.
Can I use my own lock on the U-Box?
Yes, you can use your own lock on the U-Box. However, U-Haul also offers locks that are specifically designed for U-Box containers.
Can I store my U-Box at a U-Haul facility?
Yes, U-Haul offers storage facilities where you can store your U-Box. This can be a convenient option if you need extra storage space.
Are U-Boxes weatherproof?
Yes, U-Boxes are weather-resistant and designed to protect your belongings from the elements during transport.
How much does it cost to rent a U-Box?
The cost of renting a U-Box depends on the size of the container, the distance of your move, and the length of time you need the U-Box. You can get a quote from U-Haul’s website or by visiting your local U-Haul store.
How long does U-Box take to ship?
The shipping time for U-Box containers can vary depending on the distance of your move and the availability of U-Box containers in your area. Generally, U-Box containers are delivered within 1-2 business days for local moves and 5-10 business days for long-distance moves.
When scheduling your U-Box delivery, it’s important to consider the time it takes to pack your belongings and load them into the container. You should also factor in the time it takes for U-Box to transport your container to your new location.
To ensure a timely delivery, it’s recommended to schedule your U-Box delivery well in advance of your move date. You can also contact U-Haul’s customer service team for updates on the status of your shipment and estimated delivery date.
U-Haul U-Box containers can be a convenient and cost-effective option for moving or storing your belongings. By understanding the dimensions of a U-Haul U-Box and following packing tips, you can make sure your move goes smoothly. If you have any questions about U-Haul U-Boxes, be sure to check out the FAQs or contact U-Haul for more information.